Tuesday 31 July 2012

Frugal - But Not Super Frugal - Menu Plan

So here's the next menu plan. This is a reasonable menu plan. Reasonably cheap, reasonably ethical, reasonably seasonal and reasonably  nutritious. The older I get, the more I realise that the act of compromise is deeply embedded in my psyche.

Breakfast
Boiled egg and soldiers - exceptionally good for youngsters according to the Nourishing Traditions lady.
Elevensies
Coffee for mum - Fairtrade and from the Co-Op - exceptionally good for me, according to the Bread and Roses lady.
Lunch
Tuna pasta salad. My kids favourite and can be as healthy as you  make it.
Tea
A light tea of cheap supermarket fruit, the Co-Op is a five minute walk from my house so I do pop in most days and buy up the marked down fruit and veg. I also grow my own strawberries, blueberries and rhubarb.
Dinner
Aldi free range chicken and cous cous and chick pea salad. Blackberry and apple cake for pudding (with our without creme fraiche as budget or waste line dictate).

Tuesday
Breakfast
Toast and marmalade. One of the traditions I still kept up while I was working full time was the summer frenzy of jam making and February marmalade.
Lunch
Homemade (or not, depending on time and budget) humus and salad wraps. Greek yogurt (Aldi is the cheapest) and fruit.
Tea
Scones and jam.
Dinner
Delia Smith's Pasta Puttanesca. Blackberry cake again.

Wednesday
Breakfast
Porridge
Elevensies - a healthy herbal tea...no,  not that, anything but that!
Lunch
Wraps again - with tuna and salad.
Tea
The rest of the blackberry cake.
Dinner
The DH's superb chicken curry - use the rest of the yogurt as a garnish or as a riata.

Thursday
Breakfast
Scrambled eggs on toast.
Lunch
Jacket potato with cheese and baked beans.
Tea
Get the kids to make brownies as a project and eat them gleefully whilst watching The Biggest Loser.
Dinner
A really nice ratatouille with rice. Go all out on the sauteing in olive oil and don't stint on basil or parsley.

Friday
Toast and marmalade.
Elevensies
You know what I'm going to say.
Lunch
Summer vegetable soup and bread.
Tea
Rest of the brownies for the kids - a slice of toast for me, if I'm hungry.
Dinner
Salmon (or any seasonal fish), new potatoes and seasonal veg. Strawberry and rhubarb pie, creme fraiche.

Saturday
Breakfast
American pancakes and maple syrup.
Elevensies
Coffee for the DH and myself.
Lunch
Omelet and salad. Fruit.
Early Dinner
Homemade burgers, wedges and various garnishes. The rest of the strawberry and rhubarb pie.

Sunday
Breakfast
Bacon and eggs.
Elevensies
Yes, free at church!
Lunch
Slow roast belly pork with roasted new potatoes and garlicky greens.
High Tea - taken at dinner time
Tinned salmon and cucumber sandwiches, scones and jam.

You don't know how much easier it was to create this menu. It was an awful lot easier in the cooking too.
Anyway, anon goode huswives!

4 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Wonderful menus! Now I am compelled to make some tuna pasta salad.
I shall save this post because you feature such elegant and frugal combinations.
Let's eat more cake!

Sarah said...

I love Aldi for cheapy cheapy, saves me a fortune. My favourite coffee is (I'm ashamed) Starbucks Columbian or House Blend...but that habit was costing me an arm and a leg - however, it's cheaper than my other fave Illy which costs me an arm a leg and one of Gary's legs too. So I buy whatever and sulk (try to get fairtrade of course...I'm usually a good girl with that). I have a serious coffee habit. :)

Jo said...

Loving your 'not super frugal' caveat. My family let me know quite firmly when they think I am letting my 'super frugal' tendencies get away with me... it's all about balance.

Jo said...

Loving your 'not super frugal' caveat. My family let me know quite firmly when they think I am letting my 'super frugal' tendencies get away with me... it's all about balance.